5-Ingredient Homemade Cannoli
When you walk into any Italian bakeries or even restaurants, you will most likely see “Cannoli” or “Cannolo” on their list. The former is plural, while the latter is singular. This product has been around forever not only in Italy and other European countries but also in North America, Asia, Australia, and many other places in the world, especially those with huge Italian communities.
But what is a Cannolo? Simply put, this is a traditional Italian pastry that is made with fried, tube-shaped shells filled with a creamy filling. Ricotta cheese is an important ingredient. Cannoli can be topped with mini chocolate chips, sliced cherries, chopped pistachios, and so on and so forth. The options are endless. They can even be dipped in chocolate. But whatever you pick to top or garnish your Cannolo with, you will definitely have a major treat in the end!
Looking at the stunning Cannoli at the bakeries, you might think that they are too complicated. But really, they are not. Sure, there are various ways in which you can make them, but you have the option to try the easiest one. That is when this 5-Ingredient Homemade Cannoli recipe that I am about to share with you comes into play.
You don’t have to be a professional baker to make excellent Cannoli. With this 5-ingredient recipe, you can pull this very popular Italian pastry together without any problem.
8 cannoli shells
2 c. ricotta cheese
1 c. confectioner’s sugar (add more for dusting)
3/4 c. mini chocolate chips
1 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- Combine ricotta cheese (drained), sugar, 1/4 cup of mini chocolate chips, and vanilla extract in a large bowl. Mix well.
- Put the mixture into a pastry bag fitted with an open tip, about half an inch.
- Once you are ready to serve the dessert, simply pipe the filling into one end of the shell and fill halfway. Move on to the other end and do the same thing. Repeat this step with the other cannoli shells.
- Put the remaining chocolate chips on a plate and dip each end of the cannoli into it.
- Dust with confectioner’s sugar.
- For the cannoli shells, you can try making your own at home. Or, you can also make use of store-bought.
- For step #1, you can add about 2 teaspoons of fresh orange zest if desired.
- If you don’t have a piping bag available, simply use a spoon.
- It is very important that you drain the riccota cheese for at least 12 hours or even overnight.
- Cuisine: Italian
You can prepare the filling ahead of time if you wish to. You just have to store it in the fridge until needed. But once you have filled the cannoli shells, it would be best to consume them on the same day.
Aside from mini chocolate chips, you can also utilize the following for toppings:
- Crushed pistachios
- Crushed candy canes
- Chocolate Jimmies
- Sliced Almonds
These are just some of the best toppings. You can actually use any topping or dip that your heart desires.
This 5-Ingredient Homemade Cannoli recipe is a must-try. You’d miss half of your life if you don’t. Just kidding! But seriously, this appetizing dessert is something that can brighten up even the dullest days!