Apple Cinnamon Cake is delicious, period. You can never underestimate the delightful flavor of apple and cinnamon. This right here is also topped with fresh and juicy apples, which are arranged in spirals, making this treat more elegant-looking.
2 apples (peeled, cored, and thinly sliced)
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons lightly packed brown sugar
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 cup butter (softened)
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
3/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Coarse sugar, for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and grease a springform pan (9 inches) with cooking spray.
- Toss together apples, lemon juice, and 2 tablespoons of brown sugar in a large bowl.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk together flour, salt, cinnamon, baking powder, and nutmeg.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together granulated sugar, butter, and the remaining 1/2 cup brown sugar. Beat until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time (beat after each addition). Add vanilla and mix until combined.
- Carefully add half of the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Beat until just combined. Add milk and mix until fully incorporated. Add remaining dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan.
- Arrange apples on top in a spiral. Overlap the layers slightly.
- Sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Bake for about an hour.
- Let cool for about 20 minutes before removing the sides of the springform pan.
- To test whether the cake is baked or not yet, insert a toothpick into the middle. If it comes out clean, then it is done.
- You can also top your cake with raisins.