There are many reasons you should try making this Apricot Almond Pie. The main ingredients are both loaded with vitamins and minerals. You can even double the layers if you wish to!
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp almond extract
1 cup blanched almonds
2 sticks or 16 tbsp unsalted butter (chilled)
2 tsp dark brown sugar
5 tbsp water
1 cup almonds (slivered and blanched)
5 cups apricots (diced)
1 cup dark brown sugar
1 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
4 tbsp unsalted butter (melted)
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup almonds (slivered)
- Adjust oven rack to the center position. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place the flour, almonds, almond extract, butter, and sugar in a food processor and pulse until a coarse meal forms.
- Add water one tablespoon at a time until the dough pulls away from the sides of the mixer and forms a ball.
- Shape the dough into a 1/4-inch disc. Cover in plastic wrap and refrigerate for about an hour.
- Lightly flour a surface and roll out dough. Press into a pie plate.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until it turns light golden brown in color.
- Line the bottom of the pie crust with a thin layer of almonds.
- Combine sugar, apricots, and cornstarch in a medium bowl using a spatula. Pour into pie crust.
- Combine butter, flour, sugar, and almonds in a small bowl. Cool until solidified.
- Crumble topping over filling.
- Bake for about an hour or until topping is golden brown and filling is bubbling.
- Cool slightly before serving.
- When crumbling the topping over filling, make sure to leave a 1-inch border around the edges.