This halva recipe would give you a taste of the Middle East. It is rich, sweet, and very aromatic. You can also use it as a base for your homemade brownies, chocolate chips, or even ice cream.
1/2 c. water
1/4 c. rosewater
1 c. granulated sugar
6 saffron threads (or 1/2 tsp. ground saffron)
1 c. all-purpose flour
16 tbsp. unsalted butter
- Bring the sugar and water to a boil using a small saucepan. Stir and wait until the sugar is fully dissolved.
- Add the saffron and rosewater. Remove from heat once the texture is like that of syrup.
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan on medium heat.
- Slowly add the flour and mix with the butter to make a paste.
- Slowly add the sugar syrup. Remove from heat.
- Pour the mixture into ramekins or serving plates.
- Let cool before serving.
- After adding the sugar syrup, be sure to pour the mixture IMMEDIATELY into the ramekins.
- When serving, you can remove the halva from the ramekins and cut it into small pieces.