Italian cookies are delicious and irresistible. That’s one reason why they make a perfect addition to a cookie platter, no matter what the occasion is. There are lots of Italian cookie recipes out there, and I’m sure we have already featured a few before.
Do you want to learn another Italian recipe for dessert or even snacks? Baci di Dama! In English, it’s called “Lady’s Kisses”. Why? It is because the cookies are paired together to resemble a kiss. And I am telling you right now, this is going to be one of the best cookies that you could ever make and taste!
What is Baci di Dama?
Baci di Dama or Lady’s Kisses is a type of Italian cookie. It is made with two hazelnut cookies that are held together by luscious, dark chocolate. And all of it would just melt in your mouth! It’s an excellent addition to your cookie platter, indeed, be it Christmas, Thanksgiving, birthdays, or just a simple get-together.Print
Filled with roasted hazelnuts, not to mention the rich dark chocolate filling, Baci di Dama will surely satisfy anyone’s cravings for sweets. Serve it next to a hot cup of coffee after dinner or as an afternoon treat, and your day would be complete!
240 grams or 2 cups of hazelnuts (roasted, skinned)
1 c. all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2/3 c. granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 oz unsalted butter (cut into small pieces, cold)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 c. chocolate chips (semi-sweet)
- Line two baking sheet pans with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Place the hazelnuts in a food processor and pulse until they resemble flour, but still has the texture.
- Whisk together ground hazelnuts, sugar, flour, salt, and cornstarch in a large mixer bowl. Add butter and vanilla extract. Mix until a dough forms. Make sure that there are no remaining chunks.
- Portion the dough into about 2-teaspoon chunks using a small ice cream scoop then roll each one of them into a ball.
- Place the raw cookies onto the prepared baking sheet pans, about 1.5 inches apart. Flatten each cookie ball by slightly tapping its top.
- Refrigerate the cookie balls for an hour.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Put the baking rack in the middle.
- Bake cookies for about 18 minutes or until they start to get brown on top.
- Remove from oven and cool completely.
- Using a microwave-safe bowl, melt the chocolate chips in the microwave for about 2 minutes. Make sure to stir every 10 to 15 seconds. Continue stirring until all of them have melted.
How to assemble:
- Spread about 1 tsp. of the melted chocolate onto the bottom half of the cookies. Cover with the other half and press a little bit.
- Let the chocolate-filled cookies sit for about 30 minutes before serving.
- It is important that you allow the cookies to sit undisturbed for at least half an hour in order for the chocolate to set.
If you can’t find peeled hazelnuts, just roast them as is. It should be easy to peel them after roasting. But before you peel them, be sure that they have cooled completely. You can then transfer them to a ziplock bag and rub them from the outside to remove their skins.