Filled with roasted hazelnuts, not to mention the rich dark chocolate filling, Baci di Dama will surely satisfy anyone’s cravings for sweets. Serve it next to a hot cup of coffee after dinner or as an afternoon treat, and your day would be complete!
240 grams or 2 cups of hazelnuts (roasted, skinned)
1 c. all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2/3 c. granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 oz unsalted butter (cut into small pieces, cold)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 c. chocolate chips (semi-sweet)
- Line two baking sheet pans with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Place the hazelnuts in a food processor and pulse until they resemble flour, but still has the texture.
- Whisk together ground hazelnuts, sugar, flour, salt, and cornstarch in a large mixer bowl. Add butter and vanilla extract. Mix until a dough forms. Make sure that there are no remaining chunks.
- Portion the dough into about 2-teaspoon chunks using a small ice cream scoop then roll each one of them into a ball.
- Place the raw cookies onto the prepared baking sheet pans, about 1.5 inches apart. Flatten each cookie ball by slightly tapping its top.
- Refrigerate the cookie balls for an hour.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Put the baking rack in the middle.
- Bake cookies for about 18 minutes or until they start to get brown on top.
- Remove from oven and cool completely.
- Using a microwave-safe bowl, melt the chocolate chips in the microwave for about 2 minutes. Make sure to stir every 10 to 15 seconds. Continue stirring until all of them have melted.
How to assemble:
- Spread about 1 tsp. of the melted chocolate onto the bottom half of the cookies. Cover with the other half and press a little bit.
- Let the chocolate-filled cookies sit for about 30 minutes before serving.
- It is important that you allow the cookies to sit undisturbed for at least half an hour in order for the chocolate to set.