Black Forest Cake is quite popular in Germany, but it has found its way to different parts of the world. In fact, growing up, I’ve always looked at this type of cake to be fancy and elegant, and I’m sure you would agree. Just look at it. It’s very gorgeous! It has this unique character that catches everyone’s attention. Plus, of course, it is delicious.
This enticing dessert is made with chocolate sponge cake layers filled with whipped cream as well as cherries. It is an excellent treat for a special family dinner, weekend gathering, or even special occasions.
Is it hard to make? Not really. You can easily make Black Forest Cake from scratch as long as you have the right ingredients and you follow the steps correctly. This dessert will surely be a hit!Print
This flavorful and gorgeous German dessert is a fluffy chocolate sponge cake that also comes with delicious homemade cherry filling and whipped cream. It is super easy to make. It is every chocolate lover’s dream!
5 large eggs (separated)
1 c. granulated sugar (divided)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 c. all-purpose flour
2 teaspoon baking powder
1/3 c. cornstarch
1/4 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 c. cherry juice (divided)
2 c. cherries (pitted)
5 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons sugar
1/3 c. kirsch (divided)
4 c. heavy cream
1/2 c. powdered sugar
16 fresh cherries
4 ounces bittersweet baking chocolate (coarsely grated)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line an 8-inch springform pan with parchment paper.
- Beat egg whites with 1/2 cup of sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment on high speed for about 8 minutes or until stiff peaks form. Place in a large bowl and set aside.
- Using the bowl of the stand mixer again, mix egg yolks with the remaining 1/2 cup sugar and vanilla extract. At medium speed, beat until thick and creamy.
- Add the egg yolk mixture to the egg white mixture. Fold it in using a spatula. It is important that you do not stir the mixture.
- In a separate bowl, combine all-purpose flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and cocoa powder. Sieve over the egg mixture and then fold in carefully until combined.
- Transfer the mixture to the springform pan and smooth the top using a silicone spatula. Bake for about 25 minutes.
- Carefully turn the cake onto a cooling rack lined with parchment paper. Get rid of the parchment paper at the bottom and allow the cake to cool completely.
- Once the cake is cooled completely, cut into 3 even layers using a serrated knife.
- From the 1 cup of cherry juice, remove 4 tablespoons. In a small bowl, combine it with sugar and cornstarch.
- Place the remaining cherry juice in a small saucepan and bring it to a simmer. Remove from heat and add the cornstarch mixture. Bring back to a simmer while whisking until it thickens.
- Add the cherries and remove from heat. Add about half of the kirsch and let cool for about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Beat 4 cups of heavy cream in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment at high speed until soft peaks form. Add 1/2 cup of powdered sugar and beat for about 2 to 3 minutes or until stiff peaks form.
- Refrigerate until ready to assemble.
Assemble the cake:
- Put the top cake layer on a platter.
- Drizzle some cherry juice over the cake layer and then top with half of the cherry mixture. Be sure to leave a 1-inch border.
- Top with 1/4 of the whipped cream. Smooth it out using a spatula.
- Put the middle cake layer on top and drizzle again with the liquid, followed by the cherries and cream.
- Put the third cake layer on top. Spread about 1/3 of the remaining whipped cream on top.
- Spread the remaining cream on the sides of the cake.
- Decorate the sides with grated chocolate.
- Pipe 16 swirls of whipped cream on top and garnish the center of the cake with the remaining grated chocolate.
- Put a cherry on each swirl.
- To check if the cake is done, try inserting a skewer in the center. It should come out clean or with only a few crumbs attached.
- When making the whipped cream, you might have to do it in batches, depending on your mixer.
- Do not over-whip the whipped cream. It should be stiff and spreadable.
You should refrigerate your Black Forest Cake until ready to serve.