Madeleines are French classic treats that the whole world has come to love. There are many versions already but this recipe will assure you that you will be baking the best-tasting Madeleines. If you are just starting with your baking, don’t worry. They are easy to make and the ingredients are readily available in a baker’s kitchen. In less than 30 minutes, you can have these mini shell-shaped cakes for everybody to enjoy.
¾ cup of all-purpose flour
¾ teaspoon of baking powder
6 tablespoons of unsalted butter, more for the pans
2/3 cup of granulated sugar
2 large eggs, room temperature
1 teaspoon of vanilla bean paste or pure extract
1 teaspoon of grated orange zest
1/2 cup of semi-sweet mini chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Butter and flour the madeleine pans.
- In a bowl, add the sugar and butter.
- Microwave on low heat for 1 ½ minute or until melted. Mix until well combined.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well in between, and then add the vanilla and the zest.
- Add the flour, baking powder, and salt and mix until all are combined.
- Using a small cookie scoop, fill the prepared madeleine pans until about 2/3 full. As they cook, the cookies will rise.
- Add about 1/2 teaspoon of mini chips to each cookie, pressing them in lightly.
- Bake for 10 – 12 minutes until the madeleines puff up and are golden brown.
- Cool in pans on wire racks for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Dust with powdered sugar before serving.
- Expect that there will be more broken cookies at first, but you will surely discover how to prevent them from cracking and breaking. Inspect if your pan is non-stick. This will help you avoid more breakage, otherwise, they will stick to the pan and will surely break if you remove them. Never also forget to butter and flour the madeleine pans. They will help remove the cookies from the pan more easily without breaking.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes