For chocolate lovers out there, having a slice or two of a chocolate swiss roll for dessert is something that will definitely make your day. There’s so much to love about this treat. It is creamy, chocolatey, moist, and super delicious. Who wouldn’t want that?
First of all, what is a swiss roll? This dessert is also known as roll cake, cream roll, Swiss log, or jelly roll. But in a nutshell, it is a type of a sponge cake roll filled with icing, jam, or whipped cream. It is, indeed, an impressive cake. It may look complicated because of how it is rolled, but when you try making it, you will realize that it is not really that difficult to pull together.
With the word “Swiss”, one would think that this sponge cake roll originated from Switzerland. However, it is still unclear what its origin really is. Some believe that it actually came from Central Europe and was invented sometime in the 19th century.
Despite the uncertainties when it comes to where and when it was first made, Swiss Roll made its way all over the world. For good reasons, though, because nowadays there are many types. Chocolate Swiss Roll is one of them, but to many people, it simply is the best!Print
This Chocolate Swiss Roll is undoubtedly an excellent reward for any chocolate lover. It is rich and chocolatey. A decadent dessert, indeed.
For the sponge cake:
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon instant coffee
2 tablespoons oil
For the filling:
5 ounces chocolate (semisweet)
1/2 cup whipping cream
1 cup whipped cream (chilled)
Cocoa powder (for dusting)
1-ounce semisweet chocolate
2 tablespoons whipping cream
Preparing the cake:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Butter a baking tray (12X16 inch) and line with parchment paper.
- Combine flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt in a bowl and then set aside.
- Put the eggs and sugar in a large bowl and beat with an electric mixer until foamy. Add oil and mix well. Pour in instant coffee and slowly add the flour mixture.
- Pour the batter into the buttered baking tray and spread evenly.
- Bake for about 12 to 15 minutes.
- Flip the cake over a parchment paper.
- Roll with the parchment paper inside and let cool completely.
Making the filling:
- Put the chocolate and cream in a bowl (heatproof) and place over a pan with simmering water. Melt.
- Whip cream in a separate bowl until stiff peak forms. Combine with the melted chocolate.
- Unroll the cake and spread the chocolate filling over it.
- Roll the cake with the filling and refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.
To make the cake more presentable, dust with cocoa powder.
- To know if the cake is done, insert a toothpick in the middle. If it comes out clean, then that means that the cake is baked.
- Before flipping the cake over a parchment paper, it is highly recommended that you sprinkle with cocoa powder. This should help prevent the cake from sticking to the paper.
- It is crucial that you roll the cake while it is still hot. Otherwise, it will crack.
You can also drizzle chocolate ganache over the roll to make it prettier. This will also make it chocolatier. To make the ganache, you just have to melt the chocolate with the same amount of cream. Once ready, utilize a spoon or a piping bag fitted with a small tip to drizzle the ganache.
Enjoy your Chocolate Swiss Roll! 🙂