This Chocolate Swiss Roll is undoubtedly an excellent reward for any chocolate lover. It is rich and chocolatey. A decadent dessert, indeed.
For the sponge cake:
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon instant coffee
2 tablespoons oil
For the filling:
5 ounces chocolate (semisweet)
1/2 cup whipping cream
1 cup whipped cream (chilled)
Cocoa powder (for dusting)
1-ounce semisweet chocolate
2 tablespoons whipping cream
Preparing the cake:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Butter a baking tray (12X16 inch) and line with parchment paper.
- Combine flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt in a bowl and then set aside.
- Put the eggs and sugar in a large bowl and beat with an electric mixer until foamy. Add oil and mix well. Pour in instant coffee and slowly add the flour mixture.
- Pour the batter into the buttered baking tray and spread evenly.
- Bake for about 12 to 15 minutes.
- Flip the cake over a parchment paper.
- Roll with the parchment paper inside and let cool completely.
Making the filling:
- Put the chocolate and cream in a bowl (heatproof) and place over a pan with simmering water. Melt.
- Whip cream in a separate bowl until stiff peak forms. Combine with the melted chocolate.
- Unroll the cake and spread the chocolate filling over it.
- Roll the cake with the filling and refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.
To make the cake more presentable, dust with cocoa powder.
- To know if the cake is done, insert a toothpick in the middle. If it comes out clean, then that means that the cake is baked.
- Before flipping the cake over a parchment paper, it is highly recommended that you sprinkle with cocoa powder. This should help prevent the cake from sticking to the paper.
- It is crucial that you roll the cake while it is still hot. Otherwise, it will crack.