Cream Cheese Danish
Do you have overnight guests, and you are wondering what would be good to serve for dessert or perhaps breakfast or brunch? Try making Cream Cheese Danish!
I’ve always fancied Danish pastries. They are gorgeous! Plus, they are versatile because you can top them with a lot of things – cream cheese, chocolate, vanilla custard, fruit, lemon curd, or even a combination.
I know some of you are intimidated by homemade pastries, but don’t be. I’m sure you can make them without any hassle. They are easier to make than you think. You will definitely be thrilled when you have that first bite. You will be proud of yourself! 🙂
This recipe is for beginner bakers, so we are going to use frozen puff pastry sheets. But if you already know how to make homemade pastries, then feel free to make your own.
This Cream Cheese Danish is literally super easy to make. It involves ready-made puff pastry sheets, so you know that you can put this together in minutes. You are free to use homemade pastries too. It’s an excellent treat for breakfast, brunch, snacks, or even dessert!
1 package puff pastry sheets (17 1/3 oz. size)
8 ounces cream cheese
1/4 cup sugar
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1 whole egg
1 tablespoon water
1 pinch fine sea salt
- Thaw the frozen puff pastry sheets on the counter for about 40 minutes. Let cream cheese and eggs come to room temperature.
- Set oven rack to the middle and upper third of the oven. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and then line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Make the cream cheese mixture by beating the cream cheese, sugar, egg yolk, lemon juice, and extracts on medium-low speed until combined. Be sure to scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl. Increase the speed to medium-high and then beat until the mixture is completely smooth.
- Using a pizza or pastry cutter, cut the puff pastry sheets into 4 squares and place them on each baking sheet.
- Whisk the egg, water, and salt together in a bowl. Brush the mixture (egg wash) onto the border of each square.
- Fold in the corners of the squares and then dollop about 2 tablespoons of the cream cheese mixture in the middle of each pastry. If there is any exposed pastry dough, brush with the egg wash.
- Bake for about 18 minutes.
- Remove from cookie sheets and transfer to wire racks. Let cool for at least 10 minutes before serving.
- When baking, rotate the cookie sheets at around 10 minutes.
- As your Cream Cheese Danish cools, you can expect the center to deflate slightly.
- You can also use shredded coconut flakes for topping.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
This treat starts with frozen puff pastry sheets and is filled with a delicious cream cheese mixture. While thawing the puff pastry sheets, you can go ahead and make the filling to save time. They are best served with a cup of coffee or tea.