This recipe will give you the best and creamiest creme brulee ever! It only requires 6 basic ingredients. Flecked with espresso and vanilla, this creme brulee is like a gift from heaven!
5 large egg yolks
3/4 cup granulated sugar (divided)
3 cups heavy cream or heavy whipping cream
1/2 tsp. espresso powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Whisk the egg yolks and 1/2 cup of granulated sugar together in a small bowl.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, heat the heavy cream, espresso powder, and salt. Once it starts to simmer, remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
- Remove about 1/2 cup of warm heavy cream. Whisk into the egg yolks in a slow and steady stream. Make sure to keep the egg yolks moving so they don’t scramble.
- Pour and whisk the egg yolk mixture into the warm heavy cream in a slow and steady stream.
- Arrange ramekins in a large baking pan. Divide custard between each ramekin, filling to the top.
- Fill the pan with about half-inch of hot water.
- Bake for about 30 to 35 minutes or until the edges are set and the centers are a little jiggly.
- Remove the pan from the oven and then the ramekins from the pan. Let cool on a wire rack for about an hour. Refrigerate (loosely covered) for about 4 hours.
- Using the remaining granulated sugar, sprinkle a thin layer all over the surface of the chilled custards. Caramelized the sugar using a kitchen torch.
- Bake time depends on the depth of your ramekins. I highly recommend checking them at 30 minutes.
- Be sure to chill the custard for at least 4 hours before topping.