You might have come across several tart recipes, but this egg tart recipe is a perfect treat. The egg tarts have their origin in Portugal and are a very popular pastry there.
Made with egg yolks, the creamy custard fills the flaky pastry. The result is so delicious that you will keep coming back for more.
These egg tarts are a combination of creamy center and flaky outside. Prepared from egg yolks, milk, and handmade pastry, it is a perfect treat for tea-time.
For the Puff Pastry:
3/4 sticks butter, unsalted
¾ cup plus 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
1/3 cup water
A pinch salt
For the Filling:
½ cup granulated sugar
¼ cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup water
½ cup milk
3 tbsp milk
½ cinnamon stick
3 egg yolks
- In a mixing bowl, add butter and mix until it gets a smooth consistency. Set aside.
- Place the bowl on a mixer stand. Add flour, salt and water and with the help on a dough hook, mix the ingredients to get a dough.
- With the help of a rolling pin, spread the dough to form a rectangle. Cover it with clingfilm and let it rest for 15-20 minutes.
- Layer and roll the dough to get a square shape.
- Brush the top with butter and fold the top half.
- Roll the top again to form a square, brush with butter and repeat the process at least 3 to 4 times until all the batter is used up.
- Working with a rolling pin, turn the dough into a lodge and cover with clingfilm. Refrigerate it from 2-4 hours.
- In a saucepan, add water, sugar and cinnamon stick. Boil the mixture for a minute or two until the sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat.
- Place the log on a floured work surface. Cut into 15 equal portions.
- Roll out the portions in a circular shape. Place it in the muffin tray and spread it throughout the sides using your fingers. Trim extra edges.
- Refrigerate the baking tray.
- In another saucepan, heat ½ cup milk.
- Mix flour and 3 tbsp milk in a bowl. Pour in hot milk and continue to whisk slowly. Add sugar syrup and continue to whisk.
- Convert the mixture to a saucepan and let it cook over low heat. Stir constantly until it thickens.
- Add egg yolks and continue to stir until everything is combined.
- Remove the tray from the fridge and add 1 ½ tbsp of filling into each cup.
- Bake for 15 minutes in a preheated oven at 350-degree F.
Sprinkle egg tarts with cinnamon powder and serve hot.
Repeating the buttering during dough preparation increases its flakiness. Also, once the egg mixture is ready, pass it over the sieve.
A perfect treat for tea parties, kid parties, and snacks, these egg tarts are a fit for every occasion.