When you walk into any Italian bakeries or even restaurants, you will most likely see “Cannoli” or “Cannolo” on their list.
The former is plural, while the latter is singular. This product has been around forever not only in Italy and other European countries but also in North America, Asia, Australia, and many other places in the world, especially those with huge Italian communities.
But what is a Cannoli? Simply put, this is a traditional Italian pastry that is made with fried, tube-shaped shells filled with a creamy filling. Ricotta cheese is an important ingredient.
Cannoli can be topped with mini chocolate chips, sliced cherries, chopped pistachios, and so on and so forth. The options are endless.
They can even be dipped in chocolate. But whatever you pick to top or garnish your Cannolo with, you will definitely have a major treat in the end!
Looking at the stunning Cannoli at the bakeries, you might think that they are too complicated. But really, they are not.
Sure, there are various ways in which you can make them, but you have the option to try the easiest one. That is when this 5-Ingredient Homemade Cannoli recipe that I am about to share with you comes into play.
You can prepare the filling ahead of time if you wish to. You just have to store it in the fridge until needed. But once you have filled the cannoli shells, it would be best to consume them on the same day.
Making The Canolli Dough From Scratch As Well
Aside from mini chocolate chips, you can also utilize the following for toppings:
- Crushed pistachios
- Crushed candy canes
- Chocolate Jimmies
- Sliced Almonds
These are just some of the best toppings. You can actually use any topping or dip that your heart desires.
This 5-Ingredient Homemade Cannoli recipe is a must-try. You’d miss half of your life if you don’t. Just kidding! But seriously, this appetizing dessert is something that can brighten up even the dullest days!
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- 10 cannoli shells
- 1/4 cup heavy cream (optional)
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the ricotta cheese and powdered sugar until smooth.
- Add in the mini chocolate chips and stir until evenly distributed.
- If the mixture is too thick, add a little bit of heavy cream to thin it out.
- Spoon the mixture into a piping bag with a large star tip.
- Carefully pipe the mixture into the cannoli shells, filling them from both ends.
- Dust with powdered sugar or dip the ends in melted chocolate for an extra touch.
- Chill in the refrigerator for at least an hour before serving.
Enjoy your delicious homemade cannoli!