With very few simple ingredients, you can easily make Caramel Apples. You can also top them with your choice of sprinkles, nuts, or drizzles.
8 large apples
2 cups brown sugar
1 cup each butter and light corn syrup
1 can sweetened condensed milk (14 oz)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
8 wooden sticks for handles
- Fill a large saucepan with water and bring to a boil.
- Dip apples in boiling water for only a few seconds and then pat them dry using paper towels. Set aside and let cool.
- Once the apples are cool enough, insert the wooden sticks into the bottom of each.
- Get a baking sheet and line with parchment paper.
- In a separate saucepan, combine brown sugar, butter, and condensed milk. Mix well and bring to a boil while stirring constantly.
- Cook until a candy thermometer reads 248 degrees Fahrenheit. This should take about 25 minutes. Be sure to stir constantly to prevent the mixture from burning.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract.
- Dip each apple into the caramel and put on the parchment paper to cool.
Drying the apples is very important as this will remove the wax from the peels.