This easy chocolate pie comes with homemade chocolate pudding. It’s the perfect pie filling! It is a decadent dessert yet it is very simple to make. What’s more? Top it with whipped cream and chopped dark chocolate, and your dessert is all set!
1 pie crust
1 1/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup cornstarch
4 large egg yolks
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 cups whole milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 tablespoon vanilla
6 ounces dark chocolate (chopped)
Chopped dark chocolate
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Put the pie crust in a 9-inch pie dish, trim excess, and crimp the edges.
- Line the pie crust with parchment paper and fill it with beans or pie weights.
- Bake the crust for about 20 minutes and then carefully remove the parchment paper and weights.
- Continue baking the crust for another 10 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool at room temperature.
- Whisk sugar, salt, and cornstarch together in a medium-size saucepan.
- Add heavy cream, milk, and egg yolks. Whisk to combine.
- Heat the mixture over medium heat until it starts to bubble around the edges and the pudding thickens.
- Remove from heat and stir in the dark chocolate. Add butter and vanilla as well. Stir well until chocolate and butter are melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Pour filling into the prepared crust and smooth the top.
- Chill in the fridge for at least 6 hours.
- Top with whipped cream and chopped chocolate before serving if desired.
- When heating the pudding, be sure to whisk constantly so as not to burn it. Continue stirring until desired consistency is achieved.
- Chilling the pie overnight is recommended.
- Crushed nuts would be good for topping too.