Easy Homemade Strawberry Shortcake
When strawberries are in season, the views of the strawberry fields are breathtaking. You can go to the farm and pick a basket of this bright red and juicy fruit and make delicious desserts and drinks out of it. The availability of strawberries differs from one location to another, but really, it’s not that hard to find them at the local supermarkets or farmers market.
So what else can you do with strawberries aside from eating them on their own? Strawberry Shortcake!
As popular as strawberry shortcake is, I’m sure you’ve already had it before. But have you ever wondered how it’s made? That’s exactly what we are going to learn today. 🙂
Making strawberry shortcake completely from scratch is not that difficult at all. It’s a dazzling dessert that you can serve, especially during the summertime. It also makes an incredible dessert for parties or special gatherings. You only need a few basic ingredients that will allow you to create tall fluffy biscuits layered with fresh strawberry slices as well as whipped cream. I’m telling you, this would be an unforgettable dessert! Everybody will surely request it time and time again. So try making it today and master it! 🙂
Regardless of the season, this easy homemade strawberry shortcake will certainly satisfy your cravings for a creamy and fruity flavor. You are free to make it as tall as you can, too!
3 pints fresh strawberries
2 c. heavy cream (whipped)
1/2 c. white sugar
4 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp white sugar
2 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1/3 c. shortening
1/4 tsp salt
2/3 c. milk
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Slice the fresh strawberries and mix them with white sugar. Set aside.
- Grease and flour a round (8-inch) cake pan.
- Combine sugar, flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. Add the shortening until it forms like coarse crumbs. Use a pastry blender for this.
- Create a well in the center and pour in beaten egg and milk. Stir well.
- Spread the batter evenly into the greased and floured pan and bake for about 20 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool.
- Sliced the cake in half to form two layers. Arrange half of the strawberries on one layer and then top with the other layer. Place the remaining strawberries on top of the first layer then cover with the whipped cream.
- Slive and serve.
You also have the option to cover the top layer of cake with whipped cream first before arranging the strawberries on top.
This recipe makes an 8-inch round strawberry shortcake. But if you want, you can also make smaller versions so you can serve them as-is for dessert. No need to slice.
Furthermore, you have the freedom to add another layer if you want your shortcake to be taller. Just top it with lots of fresh strawberry slices!
Strawberry shortcake is a very popular dessert worldwide. Nobody can say no to it since it is really creamy and delicious. And, of course, the juiciness and sweetness of strawberries can never be underestimated!