Regardless of the season, this easy homemade strawberry shortcake will certainly satisfy your cravings for a creamy and fruity flavor. You are free to make it as tall as you can, too!
3 pints fresh strawberries
2 c. heavy cream (whipped)
1/2 c. white sugar
4 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp white sugar
2 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1/3 c. shortening
1/4 tsp salt
2/3 c. milk
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Slice the fresh strawberries and mix them with white sugar. Set aside.
- Grease and flour a round (8-inch) cake pan.
- Combine sugar, flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. Add the shortening until it forms like coarse crumbs. Use a pastry blender for this.
- Create a well in the center and pour in beaten egg and milk. Stir well.
- Spread the batter evenly into the greased and floured pan and bake for about 20 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool.
- Sliced the cake in half to form two layers. Arrange half of the strawberries on one layer and then top with the other layer. Place the remaining strawberries on top of the first layer then cover with the whipped cream.
- Slive and serve.
You also have the option to cover the top layer of cake with whipped cream first before arranging the strawberries on top.