This traditional French cake usually served on Epiphany is made with flaky and buttery crust, plus a delicious creamy almond filling. You can make use of any filling as well, and you have the freedom to utilize a store-bought puff pastry for convenience.
Almond cream filling:
1/2 c. almond meal
1/4 c. granulated sugar
1 large egg
3 tbsp. butter (softened)
3/4 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tbsp. all-purpose flour
17 oz. puff pastry (thawed)
1 large egg (beaten)
2 tbsp. confectioners sugar
1 dried fava bean (optional)
- To make the almond cream filling, combine all the ingredients (almond meal, sugar, egg, vanilla extract, softened butter, and flour) in a food processor. Blend until a smooth and creamy paste is formed.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll out the puff pastry sheets and cut out two 11-inch circles.
- Place the first circle on the prepared baking sheet and spread an even layer of the almond cream. Be sure to leave a 1-inch border around the edges.
- If using fava bean, add it at this point. Nestle it in the almond cream.
- Place the second disc on top of the filling and crimp the edges to seal the cake.
- Use a sharp knife to score a decorative pattern into the top layer of the pastry. Make sure though not to cut through the almond filling.
- Brush the galette with the beaten egg.
- Bake for about 15 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the oven and dust it with powdered sugar. Return to the oven and bake for another 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool the cake for about 20 minutes.
- You can make the almond cream a few days in advance. Simply put it in an airtight container and refrigerate.
- Brushing the galette with the beaten egg is useful in order for you to achieve a golden crust.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes