I have always had a huge interest in spices. When I see something I am not familiar with, I look it up and study its uses. I love to explore, so when I came across Gevulde Speculaas the first time, I did not hesitate in trying it. And sure enough, it was really good.
If you are not familiar with Gevulde Speculaas, they are Dutch spiced cookies filled with a sweet almond mixture. They are a favorite during fall and winter, but, of course, you can have them all year round. You can serve them as a snack or dessert.
Speculaas are quite similar to the North American pumpkin pie spice. You can utilize a homemade almond paste for this recipe. Or, you are also free to use store-bought almond paste. Either way, this treat would be good.Print
- Total Time: 55 minutes + resting time
- Yield: approximately 20 pieces 1x
This traditional Dutch dessert is similar to North American Pumpkin Pie Spice. Each piece is filled with delicious almond paste, and it will surely satisfy your taste buds.
2 c. all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
Pinch of salt
3/4 c. dark brown sugar
2 tbsp. Speculaas Spice Mix
1 1/8 stick butter
2 tbsp. milk
1 2/3 c. almond paste
1 egg (lightly whisked)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, sift flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the sugar, speculaas spice mix, milk, and butter. Knead until a dough forms. Wrap it in clingfilm and let it rest on the fridge for about 30 minutes.
- Lightly whisk the egg and then crumble the almond paste into a bowl. Add over half of the whisked egg to the almond paste. Mix until fully incorporated.
- Take the dough out of the fridge and divide it into two equal parts.
- Roll out each piece into a rectangle, 6 inch X 12 inch.
- Put a piece of the dough on the prepared baking tray and spread the almond paste mixture on it but be sure to leave a little space on the sides.
- Top it with the second piece of dough.
- Seal the almond paste by tucking in the edges of the dough.
- Brush the dough with the remaining whisked egg.
- Decorate your Gevulde Speculaas with halved almonds.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 40 to 45 minutes or until golden.
- Cut into squares or rectangles and serve.
- If you cannot find Speculaas Spice Mix, you can use Pumpkin Pie Spice.
- This dessert can be served warm or cold.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
Gevulde Speculaas are perfect for the holidays, but you can definitely make them anytime. They are full of warming spices and the centers are soft and nutty. They are really good! You can serve them warm or cold, paired with your favorite hot beverage like coffee or tea.
Each piece looks fancy, but like what you have seen, this dessert is not hard to make at all. If you are a fan or interested in Dutch dishes, then this recipe would be a good start.