This traditional Dutch dessert is similar to North American Pumpkin Pie Spice. Each piece is filled with delicious almond paste, and it will surely satisfy your taste buds.
2 c. all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
Pinch of salt
3/4 c. dark brown sugar
2 tbsp. Speculaas Spice Mix
1 1/8 stick butter
2 tbsp. milk
1 2/3 c. almond paste
1 egg (lightly whisked)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, sift flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the sugar, speculaas spice mix, milk, and butter. Knead until a dough forms. Wrap it in clingfilm and let it rest on the fridge for about 30 minutes.
- Lightly whisk the egg and then crumble the almond paste into a bowl. Add over half of the whisked egg to the almond paste. Mix until fully incorporated.
- Take the dough out of the fridge and divide it into two equal parts.
- Roll out each piece into a rectangle, 6 inch X 12 inch.
- Put a piece of the dough on the prepared baking tray and spread the almond paste mixture on it but be sure to leave a little space on the sides.
- Top it with the second piece of dough.
- Seal the almond paste by tucking in the edges of the dough.
- Brush the dough with the remaining whisked egg.
- Decorate your Gevulde Speculaas with halved almonds.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 40 to 45 minutes or until golden.
- Cut into squares or rectangles and serve.
- If you cannot find Speculaas Spice Mix, you can use Pumpkin Pie Spice.
- This dessert can be served warm or cold.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes