Greek Butter Cookies (Kourabiedes)
Do you know what Kourabiedes are? Some also call them Greek Butter Cookies, Wedding Cookies, or Christmas Cookies. But guess what? I just call them delicious! 🙂
These festive sweet butter cookies are popular during Christmas, but you can also see them during weddings, Easter, and other holidays or celebrations, especially that of the Greeks. Haven’t tried them before? You should right now or you will certainly be missing out!
What’s good about these snowy cookies is that they are deliciously buttery and crunchy. You can even add almonds or pistachios so that you can give them that amazing texture. Oh, every bite would be so good! Greek Butter Cookies will definitely set you in a festive mood!
These traditional Greek Butter Cookies are simple but they are sure to impress. They are buttery, crunchy, and savory. They are also packed with the aromas of fresh butter as well as roasted almonds. Simply irresistible!
1 cup unsalted butter (made from cow’s milk, cold)
1 1/4 cups roughly chopped or almond slivers (roasted)
1/4 cup whole almonds (raw)
1/2 cup icing sugar
1 tablespoon rose water
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon baking powder
a pinch of salt
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
icing sugar for powdering
- Preheat the oven to 390 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add the roughly chopped almonds or almond slivers to a baking tray. Sprinkle them with water and then bake for about 7 to 8 minutes or until roasted.
- Once almonds are roasted, set them aside or put them in the fridge to cool.
- Add the raw almonds to a blender. Blend until powdered and set aside.
- Add the cold butter and sugar to a food processor and process for about 10 seconds or until the butter breaks and is completely dissolved. Add the almonds, rosewater, vanilla extract, and a pinch of salt. Mix for about 20 seconds or until combined. Add the baking powder and flour and mix for about 10 to 15 seconds more.
- Place the mixture in a large bowl and then add the roasted almonds. Using your hands, blend lightly.
- Preheat oven to 340 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line 2 baking trays with parchment paper and start forming the cookies.
- Roll about 1 tablespoon of the dough into a ball and place it on the baking tray. Push the middle a little bit with your finger. Repeat with the remaining dough. Place in the fridge while working on the second tray.
- Position the baking trays in the second and fourth rack of the oven. Bake the cookies for about 15 to 20 minutes or until they have a golden hint.
- Let the cookies cool down.
- Spray with rosewater and sift with icing sugar.
- Be careful when roasting the almonds. You should monitor them to prevent them from burning.
- To make sure that your cookies remain fluffy, the butter should not warm up and melt. Therefore, you should wait a little bit for the roasted almonds to cool before adding them to the butter mixture.
It is important that you allow your cookies to cool down for a while so they won’t break when you lift them.
Enjoy your Greek Butter Cookies! 🙂