Homemade Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
I am sure a lot of you are rejoicing right now with just looking at the name and images of our dessert recipe for today – Homemade Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream. What? What?! No need to wait for the summertime before you make this delicious ice cream. No need to go to the ice cream shop either. With just a few ingredients, this popular type of ice cream can be yours.
Did you know that in some places, mint chocolate chip ice cream is also called ‘peppermint bon bon’? Some also prefer calling it mint chip ice cream. But either way, this treat is so delightful and special, more so if you make your own at home.
This mint chocolate chip ice cream recipe is just as good (if not better) as the store-bought ones. I am sure it is going to be your family’s favorite!
There is nothing better to beat the heat of the summer season than a homemade mint chocolate ice cream full of chocolate shavings. In fact, you can make this all year round. With just a few basic ingredients, you can whip it up in a flash!
1 1/2 c. milk
1 1/2 c. heavy cream
3/4 c. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. peppermint extract
1 (1.55) chocolate bar (frozen)
10 drops green food dye
- Whisk together the milk, sugar, cream, peppermint extract, and food dye in a bowl until the sugar is fully dissolved.
- Pour the mixture into your ice cream machine, following the manufacturer’s instructions. This process can take about 30 minutes. it all depends on the machine that you are using.
- Shave the chocolate bar. You can do this using a grater.
- In the last few minutes of churning, add the chocolate shavings so they can be mixed in.
- Transfer ice cream into a container (freezer safe).
- Freeze for at least 3 to 4 hours.
- For the chocolate bar, you can use Hershey’s Milk Chocolate bar.
- Serve the ice cream in a dish or on a cone.
If you noticed, I said ‘frozen’ for the chocolate bar. This makes it easier for it to be shaved. And mind you, it doesn’t take that long for the chocolate to get hard in the freezer either. About 5 minutes is good enough. If you are not using the shaved chocolate immediately, I highly suggest keeping it in the freezer until you are ready to use it. Take note that chocolate melts fast, especially when it is warm outside.
This recipe is meant for the use of an ice cream machine. Never attempt to simply put the combined ingredients in the freezer as this will only give you a huge peppermint milk ice cube. 🙂
Using an ice cream maker makes this recipe much easier to make. It will also give you better results. If you don’t have one yet, you might as well consider investing in one, especially if your family is a huge fan of ice cream. And besides, ice cream is one of the best desserts ever!