Do you have some shredded coconut stashed away and a few eggs? If so, you can have Italian Coconut Macaroons in half an hour. Their crunchy or slightly crusty exterior and chewy interior makes them simply irresistible! They are perfect for dessert as well as snacks. And if you are observing Passover and you are avoiding gluten, you can never go wrong with macaroons.
But before we go on, let me just clarify one thing: Macaron and Macaroon are entirely different cookies. The former is meringue-based while the latter is coconut-based. Macarons come in a large variety of colors and flavors, and it requires patience, skill, as well as practice to get them right. Macaroons, on the other hand, can be whipped up in minutes. So if you don’t want to stress yourself out in the kitchen for hours on end, go for macaroons instead. And I can guarantee you that this Italian Coconut Macaroon recipe is the best! 🙂
If you have already seen macaroons before, you probably have observed that some are snowy-white while others are golden brown. Well, this actually depends on your preference. We are a sucker for well-toasted macaroons. We love the golden color, not to mention the crunchy shell and deep coconut flavor.Print
Slightly crusty exterior and chewy in the middle…Delightfully sweet and moist, plus an irresistible coconut flavor…These are what you can expect from Italian Coconut Macaroons. With just a few ingredients, you can have the best macaroons in minutes!
3 cups shredded coconut (sweetened)
4 large egg whites
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract
- Arrange a rack in the bottom third of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- To achieve that deep coconut flavor, toast the shredded coconut. Spread the coconut on a rimmed baking sheet and toast until just barely showing color. This should take about 5 minutes. Let cool slightly before using.
- In a large bowl, whisk the egg whites, vanilla, sugar, and salt. The whites and sugar should be well-combined and the mixture is frothy.
- Add the coconut and stir well.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Shape the coconut mixture into small balls (about 1 1/2 inches in diameter). Arrange them on the baking sheet, with at least an inch of space in between.
- Bake the macaroons for about 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
To prevent sticking when shaping the coconut mixture into small balls, you need to get your hands wet.
Do you want your macaroons to be crispier and lighter? Simply increase the amount of the coconut to 5 cups.
You can dip or drizzle the baked macaroons with melted chocolate. You may also opt to wrap the coconut mixture around a whole almond or even a piece of chocolate. Or, feel free to add a cup of chopped dried fruit into the coconut mixture.