In general, cupcakes are easy to make, which is why they are perfect for beginner bakers. If you are just learning to bake, you should try making some cupcakes.
But what kind of cupcake? Lemon Cupcakes!
Lemon Cupcakes are relatively quick and easy to make, just like any cupcake recipe out there. But this right here has something unique – the perfect balance between sweetness and tanginess. That’s exactly what makes these cupcakes stand out from the crowd.
Be it Easter, Memorial day celebration, Mother’s Day, birthday party, or any gathering, these beauties would be an excellent choice for a snack or even dessert.
If you plan on serving them as a dessert, I highly recommend topping them with delicious lemon buttercream. That makes double the fun! And to all of you who are fans of lemon, this recipe is another reason to rejoice.
These lemon cupcakes are quick and easy to make. They are moist, fluffy, and zingy. And how about if you top each with incredible lemon buttercream? That right there is heaven!
1 2/3 c. all-purpose flour
1 c. granulated sugar
2 tablespoons lemon zest
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
3/4 cup unsalted butter (melted)
2 eggs (at room temperature)
1/2 cup sour cream (at room temperature)
1/4 c. whole milk (warm)
1/4 c. lemon juice
Lemon Buttercream: (optional)
1 c. butter
4 1/2 c. powdered sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 c. lemon juice
2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and line the cupcake tin with papers.
- Using a food processor, pulse sugar and lemon zest until the zest is broken up and sugar turns pale yellow in color.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, melted butter, lemon juice, sugar, and sour cream.
- Combine the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients. Mix until just combined.
- Fill cupcake papers, 3/4 the way up.
- Bake the cupcakes for about 5 minutes at 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Reduce the temperature to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and bake for another 10 to 12 minutes.
- Combine the butter, salt, and zest for a few minutes.
- Gradually add the powdered sugar while mixing.
- Pour in the lemon juice while mixing on low.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Using a piping bag, decorate the cooled cupcakes.
- To have 2 tablespoons of lemon zest, you will probably need about 2 lemons.
- In case the wet ingredients clump up after mixing, microwave the bowl for about 30 seconds and mix some more.
- When the cupcakes are springy to the touch, they are done.
You can serve the cupcakes as is. Or, you can top them with lemon buttercream, especially if you are planning on serving them for dessert.
One thing that you need to remember when making this recipe is you should measure your flour correctly. Too much flour won’t give you good results.