This Italian treat is quite simple, but it is so good. And, no, the biscotti are not plain. They are loaded with pistachio nuts, not to mention the surprising taste of lemon. They are ridiculously delicious and addictive!
1 1/2 c. shelled pistachios
1/2 c. unsalted butter
1 c. granulated sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3 large eggs
Zest of 2 lemons
1/2 tsp. salt
3 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spread the shelled pistachios on a baking sheet into a single layer. Bake for about 10 minutes or until slightly toasted.
- Mix sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time and then add in the vanilla.
- Add the flour, salt, baking powder, and lemon zest. Mix until just combined and fold in the pistachios.
- Divide the dough in half, and form each into a log about 12 inches long and 1 inch tall. Put on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Bake for about 35 minutes or until you see that the bottoms are starting to brown.
- Once baked, let them cool for about 5 minutes before slicing on a diagonal. Make 12 1-inch slices.
- Put the slices back on the sheet pan and bake for 8 minutes more. Flip over and bake the other side for 8 minutes as well.
- Let the biscotti cool completely on a wire rack.
- You can serve your biscotti with white chocolate for dipping.