Chocolate Moelleux…Chocolate Lava Cake…Molten Chocolate Cake…or simply Lava Cake…Sounds good? Well, all these terms refer to only one thing – that popular dessert with liquid chocolate at the center. It is actually a combination of the elements of a ‘souffle’ and a chocolate cake.
Now, if you are a chocolate lover like myself, you will surely love this dessert with a lovely gooey center. Imagine how delicious the liquid chocolate would be. It’s like heaven!
Wondering how molten chocolate cake was discovered? The truth is, it was by accident. Decades ago, a French chef pulled out a chocolate cake too early. He thought it was a mistake, but it gave birth to a lava cake – a dessert that is very popular in today’s modern age. A lot of fancy restaurants serve it, but did you know that you can easily make it in your kitchen? Why spend more money on it by going to a restaurant if you can make a dozen or even more in the comfort of your home?
A molten chocolate cake may look intimidating, but you’d realize that it is super easy to make. Using very few ingredients, you can have incredible lava cakes in just under an hour!Print
Molten Chocolate Cakes may have numerous versions, but this recipe is guaranteed to be one of the best. Supremely rich, chocolatey, and the center is simply irresistible!
6 oz. bittersweet chocolate
1, 4-oz unsalted butter
2 egg yolks
2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
1/4 c. sugar
1 pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Butter and flour 4 ramekins (6-oz each). Get rid of the excess flour and arrange them on a baking sheet.
- Put a double boiler over simmering water and melt the butter and chocolate.
- Beat the eggs and egg yolks in a medium bowl. Add sugar and salt and beat at high speed until thickened.
- Whisk the chocolate until smooth and fold it into the egg mixture with the flour. Spoon the batter into the ramekins.
- Bake for about 12 minutes or until the sides are firm but the centers are still soft. Let them cool for a minute. Put a dessert plate over each ramekin and slowly turn each one over. Let stand for a few seconds before unmolding.
- Serve immediately.
For make-ahead, you can put the batter in the fridge for a few hours before baking.
These molten chocolate cakes can be served as is. They can stand alone. But if you want to make them more special, particularly if you are serving them during a special occasion like Valentine’s day, you can decorate each one with strawberries, raspberries, or even blackberries. Whipped cream and vanilla ice cream would be excellent toppings, too!
As you can see, this recipe is super easy to whip up. It’s going to be a very impressive dinner party dessert that everybody would enjoy! And, again, the gooey, chocolatey center would make each one at the dinner table want more, so be sure to make a bunch! 🙂