When it comes to Japanese pastries, we are almost sure that they are of excellent quality. This Mont Blanc chiffon cake is a perfect example. If you follow the instructions correctly, you will surely come up with a perfect dessert for dinner, that is extra light, creamy, and flavorful.
3 egg yolks
3/4 cup of plain flour
50ml of canola oil
30ml of water
1 cup of sweetened chestnut puree
3 egg whites
1/3 cup of powdered sugar
Whole chestnuts for garnish
1 3/4 cups of chestnut puree
1/3 cup of whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk egg yolks slightly. Toss in chestnut puree and whisk until smooth.
- Pour in oil and water. Stir until combined.
- Sift flour in batches. Whisk until well incorporated.
- Whisk the egg whites using an electric mixer at medium speed. Add sugar in 3 batches while whisking, increasing speed gradually to medium-high or high until stiff peaks form.
- Add a third of the meringue into the egg yolk mixture. Applying a cutting motion with your whisk, mix well.
- Measure another 1/3 part of the meringue and add it into the egg yolk mixture. Using a spatula, fold lightly.
- Add the last of the meringue and fold. Once the meringue is not visible anymore, fold by the sides of the bowl and scoop up the bottom batter to ensure the batter is well incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the chiffon tin, from a height. Shake or tap the tin gently on the tabletop to spread the batter evenly.
- Bake for 13 minutes, then decrease to 160C for another 12 minutes.
- Remove from oven and invert immediately until totally cooled.
- Remove cake from the tin. Prepare the chestnut cream.
- Chill the mixer bowl and whisk it in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- At maximum high speed, whip the whipping cream. Stop whisking once there are visible lines in the whipping cream, and seem to be firming up.
- Pour in the chestnut puree and whipped cream and fold.
- Place chestnut cream into a piping bag. Pipe the cream on the cake surface.
- Adding one teaspoon of rum to your chiffon cake can make it more flavorful, with a distinct taste.
- When whipping the cream, do not overdo it or you may not get the desired consistency.
- You can garnish with whole chestnuts if you prefer to.