Orange Ice Cream
We all know how healthy oranges are. They are delicious too, which is why they are used as an ingredient in various desserts, including ice cream. Yes, ice cream! Have you had orange ice cream before? It’s delicious!
There is no better way of beating the summer heat than treating yourself with something cold. Sure, you can sip on a cold drink, but allowing yourself to enjoy a bowl of homemade ice cream is much better.
Now, this orange ice cream that we are about to present to you is perfect on its own. It is made with freshly squeezed orange juice with a little bit of lemon juice.
Preparing this wonderful dessert only takes about 15 minutes. The only thing that takes quite some time is chilling it. That will require several hours or even overnight so make sure to allow enough time.
This homemade ice cream made with freshly squeezed orange juice and lemon juice as well as granulated sugar, heavy cream, and orange jello is definitely award-winning. It is good on its own, plus it is super easy to prepare. It is one of the best ways to satisfy your cravings on a hot summer day.
2 1/4 c. freshly squeezed orange juice (6 to 8 oranges)
1 1/2 tbsp. lemon juice
3/4 c. granulated sugar (add more if needed)
2 c. heavy cream
1 tbsp. orange jello
- In a mixing bowl, combine the orange juice with the lemon juice and sugar. Stir well to combine.
- Whisk in cream and orange jello.
- Churn the mixture following the ice cream maker instructions. If you are utilizing a modern ice cream maker, one that does not require ice or salt, you still need to freeze the bowl of the machine overnight. Refrigerating the liquid mixture for several hours before churning is also necessary.
- Store the ice cream in the freezer. Put it in an airtight container with a piece of plastic wrap against the surface. This should help avoid crystallizing.
- In the first step, taste the mixture. If it is not sweet enough for you, add more sugar.
- If you don’t have orange jello, you can substitute it with about 1 tsp. of orange oil.
- You can use half and half in place of the cream. However, you can’t expect the ice cream to be as thick and creamy.
Don’t have an ice cream maker? No worries, you can still make this delicious orange ice cream! You simply have to divide the cold ice cream mixture between two-gallon zip lock bags.
Place them in a container that has a lid. Put some ice and ice cream rock salt around the bags before putting the lid on. Shake well for about 20 minutes or until thickened. Put in the freezer for several hours or until set.
You can turn this orange ice cream into a lemon ice cream by replacing the orange juice with lemon juice. Add zest from the lemon and use lemon jello instead of orange jello. Feel free to add more sugar if needed.