This homemade ice cream made with freshly squeezed orange juice and lemon juice as well as granulated sugar, heavy cream, and orange jello is definitely award-winning. It is good on its own, plus it is super easy to prepare. It is one of the best ways to satisfy your cravings on a hot summer day.
2 1/4 c. freshly squeezed orange juice (6 to 8 oranges)
1 1/2 tbsp. lemon juice
3/4 c. granulated sugar (add more if needed)
2 c. heavy cream
1 tbsp. orange jello
- In a mixing bowl, combine the orange juice with the lemon juice and sugar. Stir well to combine.
- Whisk in cream and orange jello.
- Churn the mixture following the ice cream maker instructions. If you are utilizing a modern ice cream maker, one that does not require ice or salt, you still need to freeze the bowl of the machine overnight. Refrigerating the liquid mixture for several hours before churning is also necessary.
- Store the ice cream in the freezer. Put it in an airtight container with a piece of plastic wrap against the surface. This should help avoid crystallizing.
- In the first step, taste the mixture. If it is not sweet enough for you, add more sugar.
- If you don’t have orange jello, you can substitute it with about 1 tsp. of orange oil.
- You can use half and half in place of the cream. However, you can’t expect the ice cream to be as thick and creamy.