This Pavlova Cake With Caramel and Almonds is so elegant and delicious, but it is easy to make. The base is a soft billowing marshmallow meringue with a cream filling. It is then studded with almonds and drizzled with salted caramel.
4 large egg whites
1 cup fine granulated sugar
1 teaspoon cornflour
1 teaspoon white vinegar
1 1/3 cup double cream
For the almonds:
1/4 cup flaked almonds
2 tablespoons caster sugar
For the salted caramel sauce:
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup single cream
4 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 teaspoons fleur de sel (salt)
- Preheat the oven to 260 degrees Fahrenheit.
- On a sheet of baking paper, trace out a 7-inch circle. Place it on a baking sheet and set it aside.
- In a glass or metal bowl, beat the egg whites using an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Add half of the sugar and continue beating until the mixture gets stiff and glossy.
- Reserve about 1 tablespoon of sugar and then add the remaining to the mixture. Beat until it is all amalgamated.
- Add the remaining sugar, cornflour, and vinegar and beat for a minute.
- Spoon the meringue mixture into the baking paper, spreading and filling the circle. The center should be hollow. Create a raised edge all around.
- Bake the meringue for about an hour or until mallow-like on the inside but crisp on the outside. Let it cool completely and peel off the baking paper. Set the meringue onto a plate.
- While baking the meringue, put the almonds and sugar in a skillet. Stir over medium-high heat until the sugar melts and coats the almonds (about 2 to 3 minutes). Once done, remove from heat immediately and put the almonds on a baking paper. Let them cool completely.
- For the caramel sauce, put the brown sugar, cream, and butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Whisk constantly for about 6 minutes or until the butter and sugar have melted and the mixture has somewhat thickened. Stir in the vanilla and salt and then set aside.
- Beat the double cream until soft dollops are formed. Fill the meringue base with it. Drizzle with the cold caramel sauce and then top with almonds before serving.
- Be careful not to burn the sugar when cooking the almonds.