The flavors of pear and ginger make a great combination. This cake is full of surprises not only with its looks but, most importantly, its taste. It is something that you can be truly proud of!
2 c. all-purpose flour
1 1/2 c. sugar
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
2 tbsp. ground ginger
3/4 c. vegetable oil
2 large eggs (lightly beaten)
1/3 c. milk
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
3 c. fresh pears (coarsely grated)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grease and flour 2 round cake pans (9-inch).
- In a large bowl, combine all-purpose flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and ground ginger. Stir well.
- Make a well in the center of the mixture, and then add oil, eggs, milk, and vanilla. Stir until just combined. Add grated pears.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pans.
- Bake for about 40 minutes.
- Cool in pans on wire racks for about 10 minutes.
- Remove from pans and cool completely on wire racks.
- Spread about 1 cup of honey-lemon frosting between layers and use the remaining on top and sides of the cake.
- To check if the cake is done, insert a wooden pick in the center of the cake. If it comes out clean, the cake is ready.