Pistachio Ice Cream (With Real Pistachios)
In a survey that was conducted in 2019, it has been shown that ice cream is the most popular dessert. About 90 percent of the respondents had ice cream as their number one choice. Well, who wouldn’t want this frozen dessert? It is so good that nobody, as in NO ONE can resist it!
For one, there are literally hundreds, if not more, of flavors that you can choose from. Chocolate? Vanilla? Fruit flavor? Bubble gum? You name it! There are more flavors than you can ever imagine! Ice cream is also a perfect treat for any season or occasion. It lasts a long time, and you don’t need to drive down the store whenever your sweet tooth is screaming for ice cream, because you can definitely make your favorite flavor at home.
Speaking of flavor, have you had pistachio-flavored ice cream before? If you had, then I am sure it is one of your favorites. It is sweet and creamy – just like any ice cream should be. But do you know what makes it special? Its simplicity! It is simple, yet very satisfying.
Our dessert for today is not merely pistachio-flavored. It comes with real pistachios, which will give you a delicious, and nicely textured dessert…
Sweet, nutty, and luxuriously creamy…That’s exactly what you will get from this Pistachio Ice Cream recipe. The sweet vanilla flavor is made even better with the texture that crushed pistachios provide.
1 c. whole pistachios (roughly chopped, divided)
4 egg yolks
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. pure almond extract
2 c. heavy cream
1 c. evaporated milk
3/4 c. granulated sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
- Add the granulated sugar and 1/2 cup of pistachios to a food processor and process until finely chopped and well-blended.
- In a saucepan over medium-low heat, add the evaporated milk and cream. Add the pistachio mixture as well and cook until almost simmering. Stir in occasionally for about 4 minutes. Once the sugar has dissolved, remove from heat.
- Beat the egg yolks in a small bowl and slowly whisk about 1 cup of the hot milk mixture. Put the mixture in the saucepan and cook for about 10 minutes or until thickened. Stir occasionally and do not allow it to boil.
- Pour the mixture through a fine-mesh sieve set over a bowl and get rid of what is left on the strainer.
- Cover the custard and refrigerate for a few hours or until completely chilled.
- Add the almond and vanilla extract to the mixture and pour into an ice cream maker. Freeze or churn according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Stir in remaining pistachios. Transfer the ice cream to a container, cover with plastic, and freeze for about 3 hours or until firm.
- You can refrigerate the custard overnight if you wish to.
- Take note that some ice cream makers may require you to refrigerate their bowl overnight as well.
This homemade Pistachio Ice Cream can be kept in the freezer for up to two weeks. But keep in mind that if you store it longer than that, it may start to form ice crystals on top.
Also, you are free to add more finely chopped pistachios if you want your ice cream to be really ‘nutty’.