Sweet, nutty, and luxuriously creamy…That’s exactly what you will get from this Pistachio Ice Cream recipe. The sweet vanilla flavor is made even better with the texture that crushed pistachios provide.
1 c. whole pistachios (roughly chopped, divided)
4 egg yolks
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. pure almond extract
2 c. heavy cream
1 c. evaporated milk
3/4 c. granulated sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
- Add the granulated sugar and 1/2 cup of pistachios to a food processor and process until finely chopped and well-blended.
- In a saucepan over medium-low heat, add the evaporated milk and cream. Add the pistachio mixture as well and cook until almost simmering. Stir in occasionally for about 4 minutes. Once the sugar has dissolved, remove from heat.
- Beat the egg yolks in a small bowl and slowly whisk about 1 cup of the hot milk mixture. Put the mixture in the saucepan and cook for about 10 minutes or until thickened. Stir occasionally and do not allow it to boil.
- Pour the mixture through a fine-mesh sieve set over a bowl and get rid of what is left on the strainer.
- Cover the custard and refrigerate for a few hours or until completely chilled.
- Add the almond and vanilla extract to the mixture and pour into an ice cream maker. Freeze or churn according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Stir in remaining pistachios. Transfer the ice cream to a container, cover with plastic, and freeze for about 3 hours or until firm.
- You can refrigerate the custard overnight if you wish to.
- Take note that some ice cream makers may require you to refrigerate their bowl overnight as well.