There is nothing better than to end your favorite meal with a sumptuous dessert. Well, there are lots of sweets out there – cookies, biscuits, fruits, ice cream, puddings, cakes, and rolls. We can actually go on and on. But what you need is one that is just right – something that can satisfy your cravings.
When it comes to a dessert, it really doesn’t have to be complicated. You don’t need to spend hours on end baking and stirring in your kitchen. Have you had a Polish dessert before, particularly Poppy Seed Roll? Now, this right here is a real treat.
Not only because of its deliciousness but also because of the health benefits that poppy seeds can provide you with. These seeds are rich in manganese which is important in bone health as well as in the prevention of blood clots.
This traditional Polish bread is filled with poppy seeds, giving it that nice texture. It also has citrus peel and almonds. Plus, this roll is so easy to make. The only thing that will take some time is the rising of the dough. Other than that, everything can be done in just a little over an hour.Print
This Poppy Seed Roll will give you a taste of the Polish tradition. It is filled with poppy seeds, citrus peel, and almonds. By that, you can tell how nice its texture is. Overall, this treat is a real winner!
1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1 packet instant or active dry yeast (2 tsp.)
1/4 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
2/3 c. milk
2 tbsp. vegetable oil
3/4 c. extra flour
1 c. poppy seeds
1/3 c. boiling water
1/4 c. ground almonds (toasted)
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
zest of 1/2 of a lemon and 1/2 of an orange
- Grind poppy seeds, place in a small bowl, stir in boiling water and let stand uncovered.
- Grind almonds. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour with yeast, sugar, and salt. Stir in milk and then add the oil and egg.
- Beat on high for about 2 minutes. Add extra flour until the dough forms a mass.
- On a floured board, knead the dough 100 turns, for about 2 minutes. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Add ground almonds to the poppy seeds. Add the sugar, vanilla, and zests as well.
- Roll dough into a 10 X 12 shape and then spread filling almost to edges. Roll and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper with seam side down. Pinch and tuck ends under to make sure it is secure.
- Cover with a towel, put in a warm spot, and let rise for about 1 1/2 hours or until it doubles in size.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Bake for about 35 minutes.
- Let the roll cool for about 10 minutes and drizzle with glaze.
- If you are using instant yeast, heat the milk to 120 to 130 degrees Fahrenheit. But if you utilize active dry yeast, heat the milk to 110 to 120 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
For the glaze, you need 1 cup powdered sugar and 2 tablespoons of milk. Mix these two ingredients slowly. You may also opt to brush with egg wash and sprinkle with poppy seeds before baking.