Raspberry And Pistachio Semifreddo
Some of you might not be familiar with ‘semifreddo’, and are probably wondering what it is. Well, it is an Italian frozen dessert that resembles ice cream. But instead of churning air into the mixture, whipped cream is used. This treat is also quite similar to mousse, which is often served in the form of tarts or ice cream cakes.
The word ‘semifreddo’ actually means ‘half-frozen’ or ‘half cold’. There are various ways in which semifreddos are made. In Italy, where it originated from, gelato is commonly used. Custard-base sauces can also be mixed with the whipped cream. And to make it more exciting, fruits and nuts can be added as well.
This recipe for raspberry and pistachio semifreddo that I am going to share with you today is certainly something that you will fall in love with, especially if you are a huge fan of frozen desserts. And I’m sure this will also surprise your family members and friends. If you are having dinner with the most important people in your life this coming weekend, I highly recommend that you make this for dessert. You can make it ahead of time since it also requires freezing time.
This very sophisticated-looking Raspberry and Pistachio Semifreddo is definitely a must-try. You’d be surprised at how easy it is to make!
8 ounces fresh raspberries
2 1/2 tablespoons pistachio nuts
1 cup heavy whipping cream
6 large egg yolks
4 tablespoons honey and an extra teaspoon
- Using the bowl of an electric mixer, combine egg yolks and honey (1 tbsp and 1 tsp. Beat for about 10 minutes or until the mixture doubles.
- Beat heavy cream using the electric mixer as well and wait until firm peaks form. Combine with the egg yolk mixture.
- Line a pan (loaf pan) with parchment paper and then pour the mixture. Smooth the top and then cover with plastic.
- Freeze for about 1 1/2 hours.
- Once semifreddo is chilled, remove from the freezer and stir in raspberries and pistachio nuts.
- Freeze for about 4 hours.
- Transfer the semifreddo from the freezer to the refrigerator and let it soften for about 15 minutes.
- Remove from pan and slice.
- When beating egg yolk mixture, the output should be pale and creamy.
- When lining the loaf pan with parchment paper, leave overhang on the sides.
In order for your semifreddo to look better, top with more raspberries and pistachio nuts before serving. These add-ons should increase the nutritional value of each slice.
Isn’t that easy? 🙂
Like what we have said earlier, semifreddo has variations. But whatever kind you make, everybody will surely love every bit of it. As you can see, making it is really hassle-free. You don’t even need an ice cream maker or any fancy equipment to put this dessert together. It’s only the electric mixer that you will need, nothing more. 🙂 And when it comes to the ingredients, they are not that difficult to find either. You may even have some of them available already in your kitchen.