Be it Thanksgiving, Christmas, Valentine’s day, 4th of July, reunions, birthdays, date nights, or even an ordinary dinner with your friends and family, a Red Velvet Cake will always be a perfect dessert. Its color is so vibrant, making it look more festive. And, of course, its taste is unbeatable, especially one that comes with cream cheese frosting.
Sure, there are many cake recipes out there, but this Red Velvet Cake With Cream Cheese Frosting is simply THE best. It has a unique flavor that you’d never forget. For one, it is a little tangy because of the buttermilk and vinegar. It is also slightly chocolatey due to the presence of cocoa. Plus, the vanilla compliments everything in the cake. It is sweet, buttery, and luscious! Now you know why I said it’s the perfect dessert for any occasion! 🙂
Unlike what other people think, a Red Velvet Cake is more than a vanilla-flavored, tinted red cake. With just one bite, you will see what I am talking about. The mixture of flavors is amazing! I am sure you’d fall in love with this treat and you would want to make it over and over again! 🙂Print
Red Velvet Cake With Cream Cheese Frosting
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 16 servings 1x
Decadently delicious and strikingly beautiful, this fluffy, soft, moist, and rich Red Velvet Cake will become your new favorite dessert. I can guarantee you that! Its unique flavor is something that will certainly impress everybody!
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups granulated sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup unsalted butter (softened)
1/3 cup vegetable oil
3 large eggs
2 large egg yolks
1 1/3 cups buttermilk
1 1/2 teaspoon vinegar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 ounce of liquid red food coloring
16 ounces cream cheese (nearly at room temperature)
1 cup unsalted butter (nearly at room temperature)
6 cups powdered sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and butter 3, 9-inch round cake pans. Line the bottom of each with parchment paper and butter parchment. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add baking soda, flour, salt, and cocoa powder. Whisk the mixture for about 20 seconds and then set aside.
- Whip together sugar and butter until pale and fluffy using the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (on high speed). Add the vegetable oil.
- Add eggs one at a time.
- Add egg yolks and the liquid red food coloring.
- Place the buttermilk in a measuring cup and add vanilla extract and vinegar. Add 1/3 of the flour mixture in a bowl, followed by 1/2 of the buttermilk mixture, another 1/3 of the flour mixture, the remaining buttermilk mixture, and finally the remaining flour mixture. Mix just until combined. Gently fold the batter.
- Divide the mixture evenly among the 3 cake pans and bake for about 25 to 30 minutes.
- Cool in pan for about 10 minutes and then run a knife around the edges. Invert onto wire racks to cool completely.
- Mix the butter and cream cheese in a large bowl using an electric hand mixer until fluffy and smooth.
- Add vanilla and powdered sugar. Whip until light and fluffy.
- Frost the cooled cake.
- You can substitute the vegetable oil with canola oil.
- For a more stable consistency, you can freeze the frosting for about 15 minutes.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
To ensure that your Red Velvet Cake turns out fluffy and moist, make sure to really whip the sugar and butter. The mixture should turn from a yellow shade to an off white shade. The oil, butter, and egg yolks also play a vital role.
Two things that you should NOT do: Over-mix the batter nor over-bake the cake. Over-mixing the batter will make it dense while overbaking the cake will surely dry it out.
1 thought on “Red Velvet Cake With Cream Cheese Frosting”
Red velvet is my absolute favorite. I used to get one with cream cheese frosting and shaved white chocolate on top!