Summer is just right around the corner and you should be preparing for this exciting season. Undoubtedly, one way to do it is to look for recipes that are perfect for the warm months ahead. Chilled desserts must be one of them.
When it comes to chilled desserts, ice cream must not be out of your mind. This recipe is just like it but with a twist. It may be best to serve rum raisin ice cream during a romantic dinner with your beau but for sure, it would also be perfect to have it when you are alone and in the mood of reminiscing all those fun memories.Print
Once you gather all the ingredients, it should be smooth sailing. The procedures are pretty simple and with not much ingredients needed. By following the procedures of this recipe carefully, there is no doubt that you will have a ‘scoopable’ ice cream, with a looser, softer, and creamier texture.
12 egg yolks
2/3 cup of sugar
2 cups of heavy whipping cream
2 cups of milk
1 tbsp. of vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups of dark rum, divided
2 cups of dark raisins
- Prepare all the ingredients on your working table.
- Mix the egg yolks with the sugar in a large saucepan.
- Gently whisk in the heavy cream and milk.
- Place the saucepan over low heat while whisking until the mixture thickens slightly. Don’t boil. When the mixture has reached the desired thickness, remove the custard from the heat and cool.
- Add the vanilla extract and 1/4 cup of the rum and stir. Wait to cool completely before proceeding.
- Chill the custard in the refrigerator using an airtight container for at least 8 hours before churning.
- Combine the raisins with the remaining 1 cup of rum in a small saucepan and then churn. Place over low heat for 5 minutes and then cool completely. This will cause the raisin to absorb most or all of the rum.
- To prepare the ice cream, churn according to the manufacturer’s directions for about 15 minutes.
- Add the plumped and cooled rum raisins to the machine.
- Put the churned ice cream into a freezer-safe container. Freeze for at least 2 to 4 hours or until set.
- Scoop and serve.
- You may want to experiment by increasing the alcohol content of your ice cream base. That is a big no-no to do as alcohol has a lower freezing temperature. This may cause your ice cream to not set properly. So you can enjoy more rum, use more raisins to absorb more of the alcohol.
Indeed, with a bowl of rum raisin ice cream, you are like eating your cocktail. You have a cocktail and a dessert in one! You also do not quench your craving for cold stuff during the hot days of summer but you are also making the night a little warmer. Quite an irony, but that’s what this recipe is. You should try it now, it’s plain and simple but with great rewards.