Once you gather all the ingredients, it should be smooth sailing. The procedures are pretty simple and with not much ingredients needed. By following the procedures of this recipe carefully, there is no doubt that you will have a ‘scoopable’ ice cream, with a looser, softer, and creamier texture.
12 egg yolks
2/3 cup of sugar
2 cups of heavy whipping cream
2 cups of milk
1 tbsp. of vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups of dark rum, divided
2 cups of dark raisins
- Prepare all the ingredients on your working table.
- Mix the egg yolks with the sugar in a large saucepan.
- Gently whisk in the heavy cream and milk.
- Place the saucepan over low heat while whisking until the mixture thickens slightly. Don’t boil. When the mixture has reached the desired thickness, remove the custard from the heat and cool.
- Add the vanilla extract and 1/4 cup of the rum and stir. Wait to cool completely before proceeding.
- Chill the custard in the refrigerator using an airtight container for at least 8 hours before churning.
- Combine the raisins with the remaining 1 cup of rum in a small saucepan and then churn. Place over low heat for 5 minutes and then cool completely. This will cause the raisin to absorb most or all of the rum.
- To prepare the ice cream, churn according to the manufacturer’s directions for about 15 minutes.
- Add the plumped and cooled rum raisins to the machine.
- Put the churned ice cream into a freezer-safe container. Freeze for at least 2 to 4 hours or until set.
- Scoop and serve.
- You may want to experiment by increasing the alcohol content of your ice cream base. That is a big no-no to do as alcohol has a lower freezing temperature. This may cause your ice cream to not set properly. So you can enjoy more rum, use more raisins to absorb more of the alcohol.