Try baking this recipe and you will surely gain everybody’s heart, even those who have some bias with sweet treats as desserts. This is really different. It is decadent, elegant, and impressive in all aspects.
For the Burnt Honey:
¾ cup of wildflower honey
3 tbsp. of water, cold
For the Cake Layers:
14 tbsp. of unsalted butter, cut into slices
1 cup of white sugar
¾ cup of wildflower honey
6 large eggs, cold
2 ½ tsp. of baking soda
¾ tsp. of fine salt
1 tsp. of ground cinnamon
3 ¾ cups of all-purpose flour
For the Frosting:
4 cups of heavy whipping cream, cold
¾ cup of sour cream
- In a deep saucepan over medium heat, pour honey. Bring to a boil until a shade darker and aroma becomes caramel-like, about 10 minutes. Turn off heat, add cold water, and whisk.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with a silicone mat. Place a mixing bowl and a whisk in the refrigerator.
- Add butter, sugar, 1/4 cup of the burnt honey, and regular wildflower honey in a metal bowl over the lowest heat setting. Let sit until butter melts or for about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a separate small bowl, combine baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- Whisk butter mixture in the saucepan and let sit until very warm. Add eggs and whisk. Maintain low heat until it gets very warm again.
- Add baking soda mixture from the small bowl and whisk. Remove pan from heat. Sift in flour in 2 – 3 additions, stirring in between, until an easily spreadable batter is achieved.
- Pour 1/2 cup batter onto the prepared baking sheet. Using an offset spatula, spread into an 8- or 9-inch circle. Shake and tap the pan to knock out any air bubbles on the remaining batter.
- Bake until lightly browned or about 6 to 7 minutes. Remove liner from the pan and allow the cake to cool until firm enough to remove. On a round parchment paper, invert the cake.
- Bake 7 more cakes using the same procedures. Allow each cake to cool on an individual round parchment paper. Using a pizza wheel, trim edges to ensure uniformity of sizes. Don’t discard scraps. You will use it in the crumb mixture.
- Spread the remaining batter onto the lined baking sheet. Bake until edges are dry or for about 10 minutes. Upon removing from the oven, cut into small pieces. Toss with reserved cake scraps.
- Return to the oven and continue to bake until browned or for about 7 to 10 minutes. Allow it to cool completely. Transfer to a sealable bag and using a rolling pin, beat into fairly fine crumbs. Set aside.
- Get the bowl and whisk it from the refrigerator. Pour in heavy cream and whisk until soft peaks form. Pour remaining burnt honey and sour cream while whisking until stiff peaks form.
- Place the first cake layer on a parchment paper round on top of a pizza pan or serving plate. Spread a cup of frosting evenly on top, almost to the edge. Repeat with the next cake layers, frosting and pressing the layers in smooth-side down each time a cake layer is added.
- When placing the last cake layer, put it smooth-side up. Frost the top and sides of the cake. Cover with crumbs and clean any excess crumbs around the base.
- Wrap with plastic and refrigerate for at least 8 hours, to overnight. Using two spatulas, transfer to a cake stand.
- Cut and serve.
- Russian honey cake is known for its lengthy and repetitive procedures. To make things less laborious, making the cakes in advance can be more convenient. You can bake the cakes days before setting up your Russian honey cake. Tightly cover them in plastic wrap, store them in a plastic bag and keep them refrigerated.