Looking for a delicious and nutty cake? Look no more but this Semolina Coconut Cake. It is simple yet sumptuous, and it is one of the best ways to treat your taste buds to a super moist and decadent Middle Eastern dessert.
2 eggs (separated)
1/4 c. and 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
1/2 c. freshly squeezed orange juice
1/2 c. semolina or rava
1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 c. desiccated coconut
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 c. and 2 tablespoons of sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 c. water
1/2 c. sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
***1/4 cup desiccated coconut (for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a pan (8X8) and line with parchment paper.
- Place semolina, all-purpose flour, baking powder, desiccated coconut, and salt in a bowl. Mix well and set aside.
- Add orange juice, 2 egg yolks, and vegetable oil in a separate bowl and mix well.
- Mix the orange mixture with the semolina mixture. Mix well and set aside.
- In another bowl, add two egg whites and then gradually add sugar while beating. Beat until soft peaks form. Mix in with semolina mixture.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and bake for about 30 minutes.
- Make the syrup while baking. Heat water in a bowl and then add sugar. Heat until sugar is fully dissolved. Remove from heat and add lemon juice.
- Poke the cake using a fork. Add the syrup and then garnish with desiccated coconut.
- Make two batches of syrup if you want your cake to be sweeter. You can also add more desiccated coconut if you wish to.