Pineapples are good on their own, but add some spices and bake them and you’d have a surprisingly delightful dessert. Very nutritious as well!
1 ripe pineapple
1 c. packed sugar (light brown)
2 tsp. whole cloves
1/4 tsp. ground pepper
6 tbsp. butter (unsalted, cubed)
1/4 c. heavy cream
For serving (if desired):
Vanilla ice cream and flaky sea salt
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Pierce pineapple with cloves.
- In a baking dish, combine sugar and about 1/4 tsp. of pepper, and then roll pineapple to coat.
- Put the flour into the pan and bake pineapple for about 1 hour and 15 minutes. Brush with sugar-butter mixture occasionally.
- Get rid of the cloves.
- Put sugar mixture into a saucepan and add the cream. Simmer for about 8 minutes or until thickened.
- Cut the pineapple and serve with vanilla ice cream, sauce, and flaky salt. Add more pepper, too, if desired.
If you wish to keep the pineapple tops and preserve their color, wrap the leaves in wet paper towels and aluminum foil before you put them into the oven.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour and 15 minutes