Stollen is a traditional German cake-like fruit bread that is usually baked during the Christmas season. Packed with herbs, nuts, and dried and candied fruits, it is coated with powdered sugar or icing, making it perfect for dessert. Everybody will surely love this colorful and delicious dessert for the festive mood it imbibes.
A stollen fruit cake must be the easiest fruit cake to make. Even if you are a first-time baker, you can come up with the best-tasting stollen fruit cake. It is all about mixing the ingredients, kneading, and waiting for the dough to rise and then it is finally cooked. But even if it is easy to prepare, you can be very proud to serve it. It absolutely tastes and looks good.
1 package / 1/4 oz. of active dry yeast
2 tbsp. of warm water, 110° to 115°
1 cup of warm 2% milk, 110° to 115°
3/4 cup of butter, softened
1/2 cup of sugar
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1–1/2 tsp. of grated lemon zest
1/2 tsp. of salt
4–3/4 to 5-1/4 cups of all-purpose flour
3/4 cup of raisins
1/2 cup of mixed candied fruit
1/2 cup of chopped almonds
1–1/2 cups of confectioners’ sugar
2 to 3 tbsp. of 2% milk
- Dissolve yeast in warm water using a large bowl. Toss in the milk, sugar, butter, eggs, salt, lemon zest, and 3 cups of flour.
- Add the raisins, candied fruit and almonds, and the remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- On a floured surface, knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes.
- Place the dough in a greased bowl and turning it once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until the size doubles or for about 1-1/2 hours.
- Punch dough down. Divide in half and cover to rest for 10 minutes.
- Press or roll each half into a 12×7-in. oval. Fold a long side over to within 1 in. of the opposite side and press the edges lightly to seal.
- Place on greased baking sheets and curve ends slightly. Cover and let rise until nearly doubled or about 1 hour.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and cool on wire racks. Mix confectioners’ sugar and enough milk to achieve desired consistency and then spread over cake.
- You can come up with a differently shaped stollen fruit cake. Oval, elongated, or whatever shape that will please you. You only have to follow the instructions above and the quality will be perfectly the same. Take note that cold weather may affect the length of time the dough will rise. You can also lessen the confectioner’s sugar if you want a not-so-sweet stollen fruit cake.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
Today, stollen can be baked and served even if the Christmas season has long gone. If you want to spread cheer in your home, serving stollen for dessert can be one of the best things to do.