This Strawberry Mille-Feuille is an elegant dessert. Yes, it requires a little bit of effort, but it’s all worth it. This treat looks and tastes good. You can be sure that everybody will love it.
5/8 cup of powdered sugar
100 ml fresh cream (lightly whipped)
4 large eggs
500 ml milk
1/4 cup plain flour
1 packet puff pastry (naturally thawed)
2/3 cup icing sugar
2 cups strawberries
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and sugar until light and frothy. Sieve in flour.
- Pour the milk into a saucepan. Add the vanilla extract and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Once the mixture starts boiling, pour it over the egg mixture.
- Continue boiling for about 3 to 5 minutes or until thickened.
- Let cool. Once it is cool enough, fold in the cream.
- Refrigerate until needed.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Using some sifted icing sugar, lightly dust your work surface.
- Cut the defrosted puff pastry into two and roll each piece into an even-sized rectangle.
- Cut the pastry into 4 strips.
- Using a fork, prick the pastry strips lightly and then transfer them to a
baking sheet. Use a flat one.
- Bake for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Once baked, dust the pastry generously with icing sugar. Caramelized the top using the grill from the oven or a chef’s blow torch.
- Set aside.
How to Assemble:
- Lay a piece of the pastry on your work surface. Pipe with some of the custard filling on top.
- Arrange some sliced strawberries and then top with another piece of pastry.
- Repeat the step one more time.
- You can add one or two more layers if you like.