We all love strawberries whether they are freshly picked, turned into smoothies or ice creams, or added into cakes. With their pinkish-red color and distinct sweet taste, strawberries are always a delight to have.
Indeed, a cake topped with glistening red strawberries is so pretty to look at and is always enticing to have a cut of it. This recipe is a bit different though. The strawberries are all wrapped within the cake that its glorious appearance is only revealed when the cake is cut into slices.
This recipe of making strawberry roll assures you of creaminess overload. Its sweetness is something that you will surely crave after dinner. It is easy to prepare even if it is your first time baking this cake. If you want to impress your family or guests, this could be the perfect dessert to serve.
1 cup of white sugar
½ cup of hot water
1 tsp. of vanilla extract
1tsp. of baking powder
1 cup of sifted all-purpose powder
1 tsp. of salt
¼ cup of confectioner’s sugar, for dusting (optional)
1 tsp. of unflavored gelatin
¼ cup of cold water
1 cup of chilled heavy cream
1 tbsp. of white sugar
1 cup of fresh strawberries
2 tbsp. of confectioner’s sugar, for dusting (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a buttered jelly pan with buttered parchment paper or buttered foil.
- Whisk or beat the eggs until lemon-colored and thick. Gradually add 1 cup white sugar, while constantly whisking or beating. Pour in water and vanilla extract and stir. Add flour, baking powder, and salt. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake the cake for about 15 minutes or until springy to the touch and starting to shrink away from the sides of the pan.
- With a tea towel sprinkled with confectioners’ sugar, turn the cake out. Remove parchment paper or foil by peeling it off. With kitchen shears or a sharp paring knife, cut away crusty edges and roll the cake up in the towel. Leave it to cool.
- Sprinkle the gelatin over the cold water and set it aside in a microwave-safe bowl. Melt the gelatin in the microwave, checking every 15 seconds. Pour gelatin and 1 tablespoon sugar over washed and hulled strawberries. Strawberries can be cut into halves if they are large.
- Whip the cream to medium-stiff peaks and add in the cooled strawberry mixture.
- Unroll the cake. Spread the strawberry cream on the cake and roll up again. Chill for about an hour.
- Dust cake with confectioners’ sugar or top with additional whipped cream before serving. This step is optional.
In this recipe, we made dusting with confectioner’s sugar optional. If you want a cake that is not very sweet, skip dusting your cake with confectioner’s sugar. You should also skip the procedure if you want a healthier strawberry roll.
Strawberry rolls when served as desserts can be the highlight of any dinner. If you think the food you prepared for dinner is not perfectly right, one way to make amends is to serve gorgeous and mouthwatering strawberry rolls.