Thinking about a perfect treat for dessert? Something that you can also eat for breakfast, brunch, or snack? Look no more but these delicious strawberry scones with lemon icing. And, yes, they come with fresh strawberries, too! You can never go wrong with that! 🙂
I know it’s already winter time. But hey, scones are excellent for any season, be it during the warmer or colder months. Like I said, you can never go wrong with strawberry scones. And you know what else comes with this treat? Lemon icing! Uhmmm…this dessert is really mouth-watering!
What Are Scones?
In the baking world, scones are considered “quick breads”, much like biscuits. They are actually very similar to the American biscuit in terms of ingredients as well as the techniques in making them. Both baked goods utilize a chemical leavening agent instead of yeast to make them rise.
There are varying kinds of scones depending on where you are. But if you go to American bakeries, you will most likely find sweetened scones, just like these Strawberry Scones with Lemon Icing that we are featuring.
Are They Hard to Make?
Nope, not at all. In fact, they are very easy to make, and I’m pretty sure you won’t have any problem making them in your own kitchen. You just have to be quick enough to prevent the dough from getting cold.Print
These strawberry scones with lemon icing are perfect not only for dessert but also for breakfast, brunch, or snack. They are soft and tender, plus they are bursting with fresh strawberries. And the icing? Irresistible!
2 cups fresh strawberries (stemmed and cut into small pieces)
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
3 tablespoon sugar
1 large egg
1 egg for egg wash
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons unsalted butter (cold and cut into small cubes)
2/3 cup milk
1 tablespoon Turbinado sugar (optional)
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 1/2 cups icing sugar (confectioners sugar or powdered sugar)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Toss strawberries with 1 tablespoon of sugar.
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt, and remaining sugar in a bowl. Add the cubes of cold butter, and make sure that the mixture will look like small peas.
- Add the strawberries to the mixture and mix well. Whisk the egg with the milk in a small bowl and add to the flour mixture.
- Put the dough into a floured surface and shape it into a round 10-inch disk.
- Cut the dough into 8 triangles (just like you would with a pizza). Arrange the triangles in the prepared baking sheet.
- Brush each scone with egg wash and sprinkle with Turbinado sugar.
- Bake for about 20 to 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Mix the icing sugar with the lemon juice. Adjust the measurements until the desired consistency is achieved. Drizzle icing over scones.
You can add more flour if the dough is too wet or sticky.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
If you are unable to finish the scones on the same day, simply store them in an airtight container. At room temperature, they should last up to two days. They can last up to a week though if you store them in the fridge.