A piece or two of Swedish cinnamon buns may not be enough for each one partaking a dinner with you. They are so elegantly shaped and they are even better when you start taking bites. With the rich blend of cinnamon and cardamom, Swedish cinnamon buns are simply amazing for dessert and even for light breakfasts or afternoon snacks. They are delicious, healthy, and easy to prepare.
For the buns:
3 cups of all-purpose flour
1/4 cup of granulated sugar
1 tsp. of freshly ground cardamom
2 1/4 tsp. of instant yeast
1 cup of lukewarm milk
1/4 cup of unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
1/2 tsp. of salt
For the filling:
1/3 cup of unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/3 cup of light brown/granulated sugar
1 tbsp. of ground cinnamon
To finish the buns:
1 beaten egg, for egg wash
granulated sugar, to sprinkle on top, optional
- In a bowl of a standing mixer, put flour, sugar, cardamom, and yeast and mix until combined. Attach the dough hook to the mixer.
- Add milk and melted butter to the flour mixture. Mix on low speed until the dough comes together. Add salt and mix for another 8 minutes until dough is soft and detached from the sides of the bowl.
- In a large bowl brushed with oil, place the dough and toss to coat to keep the dough from drying out. Covered with plastic wrap, let the dough sit on the counter for 1-2 hours, or until doubled in size.
- To make the filling, combine softened butter, sugar, and cinnamon until you have a smooth paste in a small bowl.
- To shape the dough, roll the dough out into 35x35cm (14×14-inch) square on a lightly floured surface or non-stick silicone baking mat. Spread butter-sugar mixture onto the entire surface until it becomes a very thin layer. Fold the dough into thirds like a business letter, then roll again into a rough 35x20cm rectangle.
- Cut dough into roughly 2cm wide and 20cm long strips. Twist each strip several times while slightly stretching it. Hold one end of the twisted strip and coil the dough around your hand twice, then over the top. Coil dough again and tuck the loose end in at the bottom.
- On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, arrange the buns, with much space between them. Cover and let rest for 45-60 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Set the oven rack to the middle position and preheat to 350 F.
- Brush buns with an egg wash, sprinkle with sugar and bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown. Allow buns to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- When preparing the dough, it may rise more slowly during the cold weather. This means that you have to wait longer before its size will double. If you are serving Swedish cinnamon buns other than yourself, make sure if your guests like the spicy taste of cardamom. You can either reduce the amount of cardamom or do away with it altogether.