There are several holiday cakes, but nothing can beat the freshness of a citrus holiday cake. If you are bored with the traditional upside-down cake, try this amazingly delicious tangerine holiday cake.
Made with fresh tangerine segments, this cake is citrusy, zesty, and super delicious for those who want to try something unique for holidays. This cake recipe is super easy, and the results will make you fall in love with this cake.
This cake is citrusy, zesty, and super delicious for those who want to try something unique for holidays. This cake recipe is super easy, and the results will make you fall in love with this cake.
3 tangerines peeled and segmented
¾ cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup + 1 tbsp buttermilk
¼ tsp baking soda
¾ tsp baking powder
1 large egg
2 tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature, divided
1 tbsp canola oil
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 ½ tbsp dark brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
¼ tbsp tangerine zest
¼ tsp salt
- Prepare the baking pan by spraying it with cooking spray and lining it with parchment paper. Then, respray the parchment paper.
- In a saucepan, add butter and brown sugar and place them on medium to low heat.
- Once the butter melts and the sugar is dissolved, remove the saucepan from heat and pour the sugar mixture over the parchment paper in the baking dish.
- Peel the tangerines and segment them. Place the segments on the bottom of the baking dish and arrange them according to your liking.
- Add dry ingredients like all-purpose flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda in a medium bowl. Mix well.
- In an electric mixer bowl, add a tablespoon of butter, granulated sugar, and oil. Using an electric mixer, mix the ingredients for about a minute or two until they get fluffy and light.
- Add whole egg, vanilla extracts, and tangerine zest. Reduce the speed of the electric mixer to low and beat until the ingredients are unified.
- Next, add half of the all-purpose flour to the mixture, followed by half buttermilk. Continue to beat at a slow speed.
- Add the remaining flour and buttermilk and beat until the mixture is just combined.
- Stop the electric mixer and pour the batter into the baking dish over the segmented tangerines.
- Smooth the top and place the baking dish in a preheated oven at 350-degree F for about 40 to 45 minutes.
- Once the time is up, insert the toothpick into the cake. If it comes out clean, remove the baking dish from the oven and let it cool.
- Place a plate on the baking dish and invert it. Once the cake is out of the pan, place it on the cooling rack for about 10 minutes until it is cool.
Don’t overbeat the mixture. Stop once the ingredients are just combined.
You can use white whole wheat flour instead of all-purpose flour as well.
You can replace the tangerine segments with round slices as well. Make sure the slices are ¼ inch in thickness.
You can also use clementine instead of tangerines.