These classic thumbprint cookies require only a few basic ingredients and they are very easy to make. Made with a simple sugar cookie dough, they are then indented and filled with any jam that your heart desires. The filling options are actually endless!
1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
3/4 cup butter (softened)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/3 cup assorted jams
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and then line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Whisk together flour, salt, and baking powder in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, beat butter and sugar for about 3 minutes or until pale and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla, followed by the dry ingredients but add them in two batches. Mix well until incorporated.
- Scoop about 1-inch balls using a small cookie scoop. Place them on the prepared baking sheets.
- Press a thumbprint into the center of each ball, about 1/2-inch deep.
- Fill the center of each ball with your choice of jam.
- Bake the cookies for about 13 to 14 minutes or until the edges are golden.
- Let cool on baking sheets.
- For the jam or jelly, you can use any flavor. Raspberry and apricot are good, and so are blackberry, strawberry, orange marmalade, and blueberry.