No Christmas is complete without a delicious, moist, traditional Christmas cake full of dried fruits, nuts, and a subtle flavor of your favorite brandy!
This Christmas cake is not just delicious but is quite easy to make. It is rich, flavorful, and perfect for Christmas festivity. The best thing is you can prepare it in advance.Print
This traditional Christmas cake is rich, flavorful, and perfect for Christmas festivity.
500g mixed dried fruit (sultanas, raisins, currants, cranberries, cherries, figs)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup ground almond
¾ cup flaked almonds
1 cup light brown sugar
1 cup plus 2 tbsp butter, softened
2 large eggs
1/3 cup brandy
zest and juice of ½ orange
zest and juice of ½ lemon
¼ tsp baking powder
½ tsp ground cinnamon
¼ tsp ground cloves
1 tsp all-spice
½ tsp vanilla extract
- In a large pan, add softened butter, brandy, light brown sugar, zest and juice of orange, zest and juice of a lemon, and mixed dried fruits.
- Place the saucepan on medium heat and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat and let the mixture simmer for about 5 minutes. Stir constantly. Once done, take the mixture off the heat and pour it into a large mixing bowl. Set it aside to cool down for about 30 minutes.
- Once the dried fruit mixture reaches room temperature, add all-purpose flour, baking powder, all-spice powder, ground almonds, flaked almonds, cinnamon powder, ground cloves, vanilla extract, and eggs in the mixture.
- Whisk the ingredients well until everything is well combined and there are no air pockets in the mixture. You can either whisk it with a hand whisker or use an electric whisker.
- Line a cake pan with a double layer of parchment paper. Wrap the outside of the cake pan with newspaper and secure it with a string.
- Pour the batter into the parchment-lined cake pan. Level the top using a spatula and tap the cake pan onto the surface two to three times to eliminate any air pocket.
- Place the cake pan in a preheated oven at 300-degree f for about 2 hours.
- Once the time is up, poke a toothpick in the center of the cake. If it comes out dry, take the cake pan out of the oven. If it seems wet, give it 10 to 15 minutes more in the oven.
- Once done, take it out of the oven and plc it on the workstation. Pour about two tablespoons of brandy over the cake and let it sit until it reaches room temperature.
- Take the cake out of the cake pan. Using a wooden skewer, poke holes in the cake.
- Pour one to two tablespoons of brandy. Wrap the cake in clingfilm and let it sit in a cool, dry place.
- Continue to feed about one tablespoon of brandy to the cake after every four days until serving. Don’t feed it brandy in the final week to dry enough to hold the icing.
- Dust with icing sugar and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 2 hrs and 30 mins
The more you feed the cake, the richer the flavor will get!